291 New Towne Drive • Bowling Green
8 AM to 8 PM Every Day

Request Medical Records

Medical records are managed by the Health Information Management department at The Medical Center. These trained professionals are responsible for the timely and accurate collection of your health information, as well as release of your medical record. They are committed to ensuring your information is kept confidential and secure.

If you have questions regarding your medical record, please contact us at (270) 745-1271 or (270) 745-1009. Normal business hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I obtain a copy of my medical record?

Download the Medical Information Release Authorization form or write a letter authorizing The Medical Center to release a copy of your medical record. The authorization form or letter must include your name, date of birth, social security number, date of service, name of hospital where services were performed, the person/organization to receive the information, along with the address where the information is to be sent. It must be signed and dated by the patient or the patient’s guardian or legal representative.

Fax the authorization form or letter to (270) 745-1272, or mail to:

The Medical Center
Health Information Management Department/Release of Information
250 Park Street
Bowling Green, KY 42101

Is there a fee?

Kentucky law allows for one free copy of your medical records. Additional copies are $1.00 per page. If applicable, a retrieval and postage fee will be applied. You can arrange to pick up your medical record copies by calling the Health Information Management Department at (270) 745-1271. Or, you can request your copies be mailed to you.

How long does it take to get a copy of my medical record?

The turnaround time is 5 to 7 days, depending on the location of your medical record (computer, microfiche or paper). If there is a circumstance that requires immediate release of the medical record, call the Health Information Management department at (270) 745-1271 to discuss your needs.

What do I need to do to have copies of my medical records sent to a different healthcare provider?

Submit an authorization form or letter requesting your medical record copies be mailed or faxed to another healthcare provider. You must include the name, address, phone number and/or fax number of the healthcare provider. There is no fee for this service.

What information is not part of the medical record?

The following are not included in the medical record:

  • Radiology images, telemetry tapes and photos. To receive a copy of these items, you will need to contact the department that provided the service. To contact the Radiology Department, call (270) 745-1200.
  • Blood type. Blood typing is not routinely performed and therefore may not be part of your medical record. If blood typing was performed, an authorization form or letter is required. Results will be sent to you.
  • Billing statements. Contact our billing service at (270) 745-1100 or 1-800-786-1581.
  • Birth certificates. Contact the State Registrar of Vital Statistics at 877-817-7362.

Can I obtain a copy of a family member’s medical record?

You can not obtain a family member’s medical record unless you have power of attorney, guardianship or are the executor of the patient’s estate. You must submit an authorization form or letter along with a copy of the legal document that designates power of attorney, guardianship or executor rights.

How long are medical records kept?

Medical records are kept for various periods of time according to Kentucky statute.

Medical Center Urgentcare
291 New Towne Drive
Bowling Green, Kentucky
(270) 796-3500
Red Pixel Studios Website Development